Home cooling can account for about half of a summertime electric bill, and the best way customers can keep that bill from climbing too high is to practice some basic conservation and efficiency habits that can keep you cool without stressing your family’s budget.
Small changes customers can make in their day and evening routines include setting thermostats to 78 degrees or higher if your health allows, turning off unnecessary lights and postponing the use of major appliances until after 8:00 p.m.
Xcel Energy also offers a full selection of programs and rebates to help businesses save energy and money. See our options here: Smarter Energy Use for a Better Business
Additional summertime energy-saving tips include:
- Using electric fans instead of air conditioning when practical.
- Closing drapes and blinds to keep out direct sunlight during hot periods.
- Avoiding using evaporative coolers or humidifiers at the same time an air conditioner is running.
- Operating energy-intensive appliances, such as dishwashers, washing machines and dryers, during early morning and late evening hours.
- Limiting the opening and reopening of refrigerators, which are major users of electricity in most homes.
- When possible, businesses should shift power-intensive work processes to morning or late evening hours.
Find more energy saving tips and resources online:
- Energy Savings Tip Page
- Summer Energy Savings Tips:10 simple ways to lower your bill & energy usage
- One-handed Ways To Save: You can save energy with one hand (videos)
Go to: https://www.xcelenergy.com/