Therapeutic Recreation Sweetheart Dance: Come for some sweet fun, and dance the night away. Valentine Sweetheart Dance Party is for people with special needs, ages 16 and older.
Location: Southridge Rec Center, Auditorium - 4800 McArthur Ranch Rd., Highlands Ranch 80130
Tickets: Members: $12; Program Guests $14.
You may also purchase tickets at any HRCA Recreation Center or call 303-791-2500. All ticket sales are final and no refunds will be issued.
Advance tickets must be purchased online. If not sold out, tickets will be available at the door for a higher price. All ticket sales are subject to service fees. All ticket sales are final and no refunds will be issued.
Do You Know...
These Fun Facts about Valentine’s Day?
- The most popular theory about Valentine's Day's origin is that Emperor Claudius II didn't want Roman men to marry during wartime. Bishop Valentine went against his wishes and performed secret weddings. For this, Valentine was jailed and executed. While in jail he wrote a note to the jailor's daugter signing it "from your Valentine".
- In Victorian times it was considered bad luck to sign a Valentine’s Day card.
- About 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged each year. This makes it the second largest seasonal card sending time of the year.
- In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who would be their Valentine. They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one week for everyone to see. This was the origin of the expression "to wear your heart on your sleeve."
- Girls of medieval times ate bizarre foods on this day to make them dream of their future spouse.
- In 1537, England's King Henry VII officially declared Feb. 14 the holiday of St. Valentine's Day.
- More than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be sold.
- 15 percent of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine's Day.
- The red rose was the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love.
- Teachers will receive the most Valentine's Day cards, followed by children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets.
- 1913, Hallmark Cards of Kansas City, Mo., began mass producing valentines. February has not been the same since.
Do You Know...
About the HRCA Therapeutic Recreation Programs?
The HRCA TR Programs are intended to enhance the quality of life of individuals with special needs. Programs are facilitated by Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists and/or qualified staff. We provide a quality and compassionate community-based environment for participants of all ages and abilities. Our goal is to challenge participants and support general independence, choice, self-determination, and self-confidence. We want each participant to enjoy recreation. We work towards social independence in a fun and safe environment, while encouraging a general sense of health, wellness, and improved quality of life.