The Highlands Ranch Metro District is offering a new program in 2020, the Highlands Ranch Citizens Academy, which aims to build the civic capacity of Highlands Ranch residents. This seven-session course exposes participants to key topics and issues in Highlands Ranch and introduces opportunities for civic involvement.
Each three-hour session focuses on a different topic and consists of engaging presentations and Q&A sessions with local subject matter experts and fellow academy participants.
These topics include the role of the Metro District as local government, local services including parks, recreation and open space, public works, water and wastewater, public safety – and related topics including financial stability, the history of Highlands Ranch, community engagement/involvement, the role of the Highlands Ranch Community Association (HRCA) and community partnerships. Information is also provided about Centennial Water & Sanitation District’s services, the HRCA and fellow local community partners.
The academy provides a great opportunity to learn more about our unique government structure and community service providers while networking with local leaders. During the program, participants will develop both a Why statement and an action plan to guide their community service activities after graduating from the academy.
Sessions will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. on the following dates: January 9, 16, 23 and 30 as well as February 6, 13, 20 and a reception/graduation on February 25 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- Must live or own property in Highlands Ranch.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Willing to commit to attending seven evening sessions in January and February 2020.
- Participants are expected to display professional courtesy and respectful conduct to promote a positive experience for all.
- Class size is limited.
Benefits of Participation
- You will learn about the local government and service providers in Highlands Ranch and how it impacts your daily life.
- Networking opportunities – meet fellow civic minded residents, local government staff and elected officials.
- You will learn about opportunities to become more involved in your community.
- Participants who attend all seven sessions will receive recognition at a Metro District board meeting.
There is no charge to participate in this program. If you have questions, please contact Sherry Eppers at email@example.com.
Complete the fillable PDF application at https://highlandsranch.org/community/highlands-ranch-citizens-academy/ and either email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Highlands Ranch Metro District
Attn: Sherry Eppers
62 Plaza Drive
Highlands Ranch, CO 80129