Chinese New Year Cultural Fair
Come celebrate Asian art and culture at the 2019 Chinese New Year Cultural Fair. See an array of educational, art and craft displays and items for purchase. Free admission. Highlands Ranch Cultural Affairs Association and the SCFD partner with Great Wall Chinese Academy to bring the annual Chinese New Year Cultural Fair to Highlands Ranch.
Cultural Fair: 12:00 - 4:00 p.m. Free Admission.
Sold Out - Chinese New Year Celebration Performance
In addition to the Cultural Fair, you won't want to miss the performance by the talented Great Wall Chinese Academy. The show features exciting Chinese dragon and lion dances, beautiful Chinese folk dances, amazing Chinese martial art - Kung Fu, and well-prepared choral and instrumental performances. Tickets are $8 in advance, $11 at the door, if not sold out (Children 2 and under free but must sit on parent's lap.)
Celebration: 2:00 p.m.
You may also purchase tickets at any HRCA recreation center or call 303-791-2500. Tickets will be available at the door, if not sold out. All ticket sales are final and no refunds will be issued. For general information call 303-791-2500.
Do you Know...Things that symbolize Chinese New Year:
- Lion Dance: Performed at New Year and other festivals, they are thought to scare away the bad luck. This dance requires martial arts skills and lots of practice.
- Firecrackers: Strings of firecrackers are set off to keep away the evil spirits.
- Drummers: Like the firecrackers, the drumming is supposed to keep away the evil spirits.
- Tangerines: A symbol of good luck for the New Year that is meant to be displayed and given as gifts. The word for tangerine in Chinese sounds like “luck.”
- Colorful lanterns: Coinciding with the full moon, the Lantern Festival marks the end of the two-week New Year period. Lanterns can be auspicious characters or be in animal shapes. Learn more about the Lantern Festival